Friday, May 20, 2011

KIBERA SLUM GIRLS DRAW UP A CODE ON ABUSE

When I Report That I have Been Abused:


Please say you believe me, do not doubt me.  
Please do not make promises that you cannot keep
Please tell me that I am not to blame, it was not my fault
Please do not get shocked and disgusted, help me instead
Please do not fight my offender, help me find justice
Please be cautious about whom you hire as my coach or teacher
Please come sometimes to watch me play or visit my school
Please warn my teacher not to touch me every time he passes my my desk
Please do not send me alone to do your errands early morning or late evening
Please remember that man who comes to visit you could also be coming to watch me and my sister(s). We need your interest and protection.
Please ask yourself why I do not like school anymore, and why many girls in my team are pregnant or have babies.
Please ask yourself why so many girls attend STD Clinics and VCT: its not a clubhouse
I want to play football....but it must be for my enjoyment. I want selections to the team to be free and fair. I want to have a safe place to change and use a safe toilet and bathe safely. I want male coaches who are impregnating girls or giving them STDs to be exposed. I want our story to be told because many girls are pregnant, have sex unwillingly, have no rights in their teams, and are suffering from AIDS and HIV because they live in the slums. I want everyone to know that the highest amount of abuse, verbally, physically and sexually takes place on the pitch. I want the government to investigate this, and find solutions. I have played Sisterhood World Cup 2010, where I have listened to very many Kenyans talk about the issues which we have brought up, I have seen and listened to the new constitution of Kenya, and I finally feel that there is a chance for us to be free of exploitation. I want 2011 Sisterhood World Cup to be the year of asking for fair and equitable space for girls in the slums...tupe nafasi, give us chance....



sisterhoodworldcup2010@gmail.com
Facebook: sisterhoodworldcup2010






No comments:

Post a Comment